TKM Reading & Vocab for Chs 1-7VOCAB: A list of words that may be unfamiliar to you in these chapters is attached; it is also included in the course with hyperlinks to dictionary.com and other sites for better understanding the word. Print it out; the reading comprehension quiz will quiz you on some of the words. You may use your print-out during the quiz. Click HERE to view and print out the vocabulary list.
READING GUIDE: Use the reading guide (below) to help as you read. Click HERE to view and print it out and have it by your side as you read.
Introduction to Maycomb and the Finch Family
- Who replaced Boo Radley’s father when he died?
- What does Dill want to make Boo do?
- How does Jem feel about this?
- What does Dill dare Jem to do?
- How does the chapter end?
Dill leaves and school begins.
- Where was Miss Caroline from?
- How did Miss Caroline begin the day?
- Why does Miss Caroline get upset with Scout?
- What does she tell her to tell her father?
- What happens when it is time to go to lunch?
- What does Scout try to explain to Mrs. Cunningham?
- Who are the Cunninghams? What were they like?
- How does Atticus know the Cunninghams?
- What does Miss Caroline do to Scout?
- What is Scout doing to Walter at the opening of this chapter?
- Where do the kids go?
- What does Walter do to his food?
- How does Scout react?
- What does Calpurnia do?
- Summarize what happens when they return to school
- How does Burris treat Miss Caroline?
- That evening Scout tells Atticus that she does not think she wants to return to school. She tells him about her day. What advice does he give her?
- What does Atticus tell Scout that she had learned that day?
- What does Atticus say about the Ewells?
- What does Atticus teach Scout about compromise?
- What does Scout find in the knothole of the oak tree?
- What does she do with it?
- What does Jem make her do when he hears about it?
- On the way home from school on the last day of school what do Jem and Scout find in the oak tree?
- Who arrives?
- What is a Hot Steam?
- What does Jem do to Scout?
- What game do the kids play?
- Who gets angry? Why?
- What did Scout hear when she rolled into the Radley yard?
- Why is Scout angry at Dill?
- What does she do to him?
- Who does Scout hang out with?
- What do the kids decide they are going to do?
- How are they going to do it?
- One night what do the kids see Mr. Avery doing?
- What do the boys do? Why can’t Scout participate?
- What are Dill and Jem planning to do?
- When Atticus asks about Jem’s pants what does Dill tell him?
- How does Jem get his pants back?
Your turn! Write a summary of this chapter. Be sure to include all of the things that the kids find in the knothole.
Last modified: Thursday, 14 June 2012, 4:19 PM