TKaM Reading & Vocab for Chs 8-14For this week, read chapters 8 through 14 of To Kill a Mockingbird (TKaM). After you have read these chapters, be sure to answer the questions in the discussion board, post the required blog, and complete the reading comprehension/vocab quiz.
Click HERE to view and print the vocabulary list; it is also included in the course with hyperlinks to dictionary.com and other sites for better understanding the word. Print it out; the reading comprehension quiz will quiz you on some of the words. You may use your print-out during the quiz.
READING GUIDE: Use the reading guide (below) to help as you read. Print it out and have it by your side. Click HERE to view & print the reading guide.
This chapter opens with a call from Eula May who informs Atticus that there will be no school because it is going to snow. The kids spend the day playing in the snow.
- What happens in the middle of the night?
- Where are the kids taken?
- What is Mr. Avery doing?
- When they finally are able to return home what does Scout find around her shoulders?
- According to Atticus who put it there?
- What does Miss Maudie say about her house?
- What happens between Cecil Jacobs and Scout?
- Who is Tom Robinson?
- Why does Atticus say he is defending him?
- How does Scout deal with Cecil the next day?
- Who is Francis?
- What did Jem and Scout get for Christmas?
- What happens between Scout and Francis on Christmas day?
- How does Uncle Jack react?
- What does he do to Scout?
- What happens between Uncle Jack and Scout when they get home?
- What does she make him promise?
- Summarize the conversation between Uncle Jack and Atticus.
Your turn! Write a short summary of this chapter.
- Why is it a sin to kill a mockingbird?
- Why do Jem and Scout hate Mrs. Dubose?
- How does Atticus tell Jem to handle her?
- List some of the mean things she says to the kids.
- Jem is furious. What does he do?
- When Atticus finds out what does he make Jem do?
- What does Mrs. Dubose want Jem to do for her?
- Describe the experience that Jem has at Mrs. Dubose’s house.
- How does Atticus explain to Scout what a nigger-lover is?
- What happens to Mrs. Dubose?
- What was she addicted to?
- Why was she so mean?
- What did Mrs. Dubose have her maid send Jem?
- How does the chapter end?
- Jem doesn’t want to hang around with ___ anymore. He is growing up. Cal starts calling him ____.
- Why isn’t Dill coming to Maycomb?
- To where Atticus is called away?
- Describe the Montgomery Advertiser cartoon.
- Why does Calpurnia bathe Scout so roughly?
- Why is the church called First Purchase?
- Describe the cemetery.
- How do the people show respect to Jem & Scout, specifically?
- Who is Lula?
- This church has no ____ books.
- The collection will go to ____.
- ___ leads the singing. How does he do it?
- What is the only difference between Reverend Sykes & Jem and Scout’s pastor?
- Why does Reverend Sykes ask Alec to shut the door?
- After church, Scout asks the Reverend why Helen doesn’t bring the kids to work with her. What does he explain?
- Tom has been accused of ___.
- Cal tells Scout to ask ___ about it.
- What does Cal call the way they sing in church? Why do they do it that way?
- What happens to Cal’s speech? How does Cal explain why she speaks differently at church and at the Finchs’ house?
- ____ is on the porch when they get back from church.
- Alexandra has come to stay for a while. What does “a while” imply?
- Why has she come?
- What does Scout say when Atticus asks her if she would like Alexandra to live with them?
- According to Scout, who really decided that Aunt Alexandra should come?
- There is a very descriptive paragraph about Alexandra t hat begins with "When she settled in with us and life resumed its daily pace...." List several things you learn about her.
- At the end of the chapter, Atticus comes into Jem’s room. What has Alexandra sent him there to explain to the children?
- Why does Scout cry?
- How does Atticus react?
- What happens to Jem and Scout when they go to town?
- How does Atticus define rape? Does Scout understand?
- Describe what happens when Scout asks if she can go to Cal’s one Saturday.
- Aunt Alexandra wants to get rid of ____.
- Why do Jem and Scout have a fist fight?
- Scout thinks she has stepped on a ___. Jem gets a ___ and swipes it under the bed. ____ comes out.
- Scout brings him ___ and ___ to eat.
- Explain how Dill got there. (Both the imaginary and real versions!)
- Who does Jem go to get? Why is this breaking "the remaining code of our childhood"?
- Miss Rachel fusses, but what does she allow Dill to do?
- What happens in the middle of the night?
- Scout asks Dill why he ran away. What does he tell her?
Last modified: Thursday, 14 June 2012, 4:19 PM