More Commonly Confused Words The following are a list of words that are often confused and misused in writing. Study each word and then complete the practice exercise.
To – Moving towards
Too – In addition, also
Two – The number two.
- I went to Washington D.C.
- Scott is going too.
- There are two of us going on the trip.
Than - comparison
Then – a specific time, next
- I enjoy playing soccer more than baseball.
- We are going to play soccer, and then play baseball.
Weather – outside condition
Whether – if
- The weather is going to turn foul.
- It matters little whether you want to play outside, you cannot do it.
Peace – the absence of war
Piece – part of a larger thing
- Let us be at peace with our neighbors
- Would you like another piece of pie?
Council – a group that advices
Counsel – to advise
- I would counsel against moving out of state.
- Let us present our plans to the council.
Councilor – A member of a council
Counselor – One who counsels
- You may step to the podium and and address the councilors.
- You really need to hire an attorney as a counselor.
Last modified: Thursday, 14 June 2012, 4:19 PM