HELP: Science Measurement Review & Additional Resources
- Measurements (quantitative observations) are more useful than qualitative observations.
- You should make measurements, even estimated ones, whenever possible.
- The system of units for measurements in physics is the SI system.
- At this time, the fundamental quantities are length, mass, and time.
- The SI unit for length is the meter and the standard meter is the distance light travels in second in a vacuum.
- The SI unit for time is the second and the standard second is based on of the frequency of one type of radiation emitted by a cesium-133 atom.
- The SI unit for mass is the kilogram and is based on a mass stored in France.
- Prefixes are used to change SI units by powers of ten.
Jump to 0:53 in the timeline to find the information on measurement and units in this video.
US Customary units vs Metric Units
After you have completed this part of the lesson, you can check the associated box on the main course page to mark it as complete